2015 Challenges

Tis the season of signing up for reading challenges for the fast approaching new year! Is it just me or has this year gone incredibly fast? A few challenges have caught my eye, and I'm planning on doing a 2015 challenge for myself (probably reading the epics - Iliad, Odyssey, the Aeneid, Metamorphosis, etc). I haven't decided yet though. Anyway, here are the challenges I've decided to join for 2015:


Reading England: 

As soon as I saw this challenge I just knew I needed to participate. The aim of this challenge is to make your way around the counties of England by reading novels set in various counties. I'm planning to visit England in 2015 so this will be a good gateway into the literature that has been influenced by the English landscape in some way. There are four levels and I've decided to go for Level Three (eight books). More details about this challenge can be found here. The titles I've chosen are as follows:

  1. Berkshire: Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
  2. Cornwall: Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
  3. Cumbria: The Tennant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte 
  4. Dorset: Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
  5. Kent: the Canterbury Tales - Chaucer
  6. London: Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf
  7. Sussex: Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
  8. Yorkshire: Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 

~~~~

TBR Challenge:

I participated in Adam's TBR Challenge last year, and failed miserably. I think I managed to read two or three, which is better than nothing. This year I'm determined to read all of the books I set out to read, especially since I've had a few of these titles on my shelves for years. The aim of this challenge is to "read 12 novels from your TBR pile." More details about this challenge can be found here. The titles I plan to read (plus two alternates) are: 

  1. Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier 
  2. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
  3. The Tennant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
  4. Metamorphoses - Ovid 
  5. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
  6. Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights - Anonymous
  7.  Silas Marner - George Eliot 
  8. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
  9. Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe 
  10. The Iliad - Homer 
  11. Tess of the D'Urbervilles 
  12. The Divine Comedy - Dante 
Alternates:
  1. The Odyssey - Homer 
  2. The Aeneid - Virgil 

~~~~

Literary Movement Challenge:


The challenge I'm most looking forward to for 2015 is Fanda's Literary Movement challenge. It's a really great concept which will enhance my knowledge of different literary periods throughout the last 600 or so years. The aim is to read one book a month for each of the twelve main literary periods; from the Medieval period in January to the Post Modernism period in December. I'm personally looking forward to the Medieval, Enlightenment, Romanticism, and Existentialism periods. More information about this challenge can be found here. The titles I've chosen for each month are as follows: 

January - Medieval: The Decameron - Giovanni Boccaccio
February - Renaissance: The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
March - Enlightenment: Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
April - Romanticism: Complete Poems - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
May - Transcendentalism: Leaves of Grass - Walt Whitman
June - Victorian: Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
July - Realism: Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert 
August - Naturalism: The Fortune of the Rougons - Emile Zola
September - Existentialism: The Stranger - Albert Camus
October - Modernism: The Waves - Virginia Woolf
November - Beat Generation: On the Road - Jack Kerouac
December - Post Modernism: Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov


~~~~

Pre-Printing Press Challenge:


As I was looking through the books I'm planning to read next year, I realised a lot of the texts I want to tackle were written before 1440, which is why the Pre-Printing Press challenge is ideal for me to join this time around. The aim of the Pre-Printing Press challenge is to read texts released before the printing press was created in 1440. I'm aiming for 10+ books (ambitious I know) . More details about this challenge can be found here. The books I'm planning to read for this challenge are:
  1. The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer 
  2. Metamorphoses - Ovid 
  3. Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights - Anonymous
  4. The Decameron - Giovanni Boccaccio 
  5. The Divine Comedy - Dante
  6.  The Iliad - Homer
  7. The Odyssey - Homer 
  8. The Aeneid - Virgil 
  9. Arthurian Romances - Chretien de Troyes 
  10. Le Morte d'Arthur - Thomas Mallory (let's try this again shall we?)

I think that's all of the challenges I'll sign up for this year! I think I'll sign up for the Victorian Perpetual Challenge but that will take up an entire post by itself, so I shall leave that for another day.



Comments

  1. Glad to see you back, Keely! Yay!

    Woo hoo! You have alot of very large books that you want to tackle! I'll be joining you for The Canterbury Tales and possibly Purgatorio, Paradiso and The Aeneid. I really need to read Metamorphoses too, but I'm afraid I'm too booked up to do it proper justice.

    I think you and I are the only ones who are more drawn to pre-1440s texts! :-Z

    That's wonderful that you're planning a trip to England. You must be so excited! In any case, have a wonderful Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cleo, it's good to be back!

      I think my lists are very optimistic but I can change them around if I find it too demanding.

      I think it comes down to my love of Ancient/Medieval history. Naturally, I'm drawn to texts from those periods. I'm really loving Ancient Greek plays right now.

      Ahh yes, I'm very excited! I hope you have a great Christmas too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for joining in my challenge. I hope you have fun with it over 2015, and a great holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great challenge. Texts written before the 1400's are so under appreciated.

      Delete
  3. These are such great titles! Looking forward to seeing how you get on :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it (and learning more about England along the way).

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet you, Keely. I admire your assertive reading attitude. You have some awesome reading challenges lined up, and I'll have fun following your progress. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too, Ruth. I'm looking forward to them! Should be a blast.

      Delete
  5. What a great bunch of challenges -- have fun! I just added Reading England to my list.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! Reading England should be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  6. Your TBR list is great and challenging. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Jane Eyre. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've read the Professor by Charlotte Bronte and it wasnt a success so I've been hesitant about Jane Eyre.

      Delete
  7. привет, надеюсь, что вы в порядке, я здесь, чтобы пригласить вас посетить мой блог. у него есть интересный контент, связанный с инженерией. PLS сохранить этот комментарий в качестве гостевой пост в вашем блоге. превью моя работа, поэтому я могу сделать больше работы, которые вдохновляют меня. Благодарю. продолжать посещать
    https://civiltechhub.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts