Classics Club Spin #11

Ah, the time has come for another Classics Club Spin! I've never had to best success with completing any of the spins I've participated in but that doesnt mean I wont keep trying. 


The rules, as always, are:
  • Go to your blog.
  • Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
  • Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
  • Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
  • Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
  • The challenge is to read that book by February 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!) 

My list is as follows: 

  1. Decameron - Giovanni Boccaccio 
  2. Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas 
  3. Three Comedies - Ben Johnson 
  4. Moll Flanders - Daniel Defoe 
  5. Arthurian Romances - Chretien de Troyes
  6. Arabian Nights - Anonymous
  7. Beowulf - Anonymous
  8. The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli 
  9. Divine Comedy - Dante 
  10. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky 
  11. Pickwick Papers - Charles Dickens 
  12. The Iliad - Homer
  13. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
  14. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
  15. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert 
  16. Silas Marner - George Eliot
  17. The Waves - Virginia Woolf 
  18. Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer 
  19. Orlando Furioso - Ludovico Ariosto 
  20. Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy 

I chose novels/plays/other texts that all will challenge me. A lot of them are very long and/or very intimidating.
Can't wait to see what I'll be reading. 

Comments

  1. #13! It will be your lucky number!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I do get to read Jane Eyre for the spin! I've been looking forward to it for a while.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I think that I'd like to get every one of the books on your list. Well, except #20 but I'm determined that Thomas Hardy and I are going to develop a better relationship in 2016. ;-) Of course, my favourites would be #7, 9, 12, 14, & 18. I have The Decameron on my list that I still need to read and Orlando Furioso is sitting on my shelves. I can't wait to see what you get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to see what I get as well. These are all books I'm ITCHING to read.

      Delete
  3. Hello Keely, how nice to discover you! :) What a great list, I should copy and paste it on my forehead to make sure I read all of those. Some I have read before (nos. 4, 10, 13, 15) and, like you, I'm itching to read the rest. Best of luck with Orlando Furioso though, and I hope you get round to the remaining titles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you. I'm really excited to start Orlando but also really overwhelmed. I hope I get to the other titles next year they are all books im itching to read. :)

      Delete
  4. Oooo, I'm tempted to read Orlando with you. I'll see how my 2015 catch-up goes and if I have room, I'll slot it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm so...scared...of it but I'm really looking forward to it as well. I'd love it if you joined in!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts