Dewey's Readathon - October 2018

I am somehow always either in the midst of exams or buried under university essays when Dewey's readathon comes around every few months...but this time I am able to participate. It starts in about two hours (which is 11pm my time) and I officially signed up six minutes ago. Suffice to say it wasn't planned but that makes me think it was fated. Okay, maybe that's a bit of a stretch but I'm going to stick with that. It is written in the stars! I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the entire 24 hours as I have the sleeping habits of an old woman and need my 8 hours a night but I will try. And if not I will still have most of tomorrow! Now for my reading plans....

Since it is October and there is a thunderstorm happening outside of my window I will be reading as many gothic and/or horror stories as I can find amongst other books/texts I want to get to. This list is very much a living list that I may or may not follow depending on wherever the wind takes me. I won't just be reading straight books either. I may read academic articles, essays, poems, short stories, plays. I usually mix it up in general and tonight/tomorrow will be no exception.

Texts I plan to read before I inevitably fall asleep tonight: 

- Songs of Experience by William Blake
- Lazarus by Leonid Andreyev
- A Haunted House by Virginia Woolf
- Pyetushkov by Ivan Turgenev

Tomorrow's Mountain: 

- A Heavenly Christmas Tree by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 7am / Hour 9:

I fell asleep about half an hour into the readathon last night which, let's face it, was bound to happen. I did manage to read Songs of Experience by William Blake and a Haunted House by Virginia Woolf though. Now I'm onto the Heavenly Christmas Tree by Fyodor Dostoyevsky which is only a few pages long and is like a caffeine shot before I get into other books I want to read today!

Update: 8.29 am / Hour 10:

I've had breakfast, coffee and finished the Heavenly Christmas Tree. I'm spoilt for choice but Daphnis and Chloe by Longus seems to be calling to me from my desk...

Update: 9.51 am / Hour 11:

I spent ten minutes looking at all my books and I have a pile next to me that for some reason or other are calling to me: Turgenev's First Love and Other Stories, The Norton Anthology of Poetry, Longus' Daphnis and Chloe, Fall of the Roman Republic by Plutarch, The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo, Three Gothic Novels, a collection of Dostoyevsky short stories and some Greek plays. I've decided to start reading Iphigenia in Tauris by Euripides and that should take me to midday at least! 

Update: 10.18 am / Hour 12:

For some reason I had an urge to look at a list of fragments of ancient female writers I wanted to read and I read Erinna's the Distaff and her Three Epigrams. So the texts I've read so far are:
  • Songs of Experience by William Blake (18th century)
  • A Haunted House by Virginia Woolf (20th Century)
  • The Heavenly Christmas Tree by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (19th Century)
  • The Distaff and Three Epigrams by Erinna (4th Century B.C)

Update: 12.15pm / Hour 14

I am currently reading Iphigenia in Tauris. I'm feeling fatigued today on account of staying up till midnight last night (early for some but I'm used to sleeping at 9/10) but I'm getting into this play. I love Euripides (one of my favourite writers) and when I get halfway I'm sure I'll read the rest pretty fast. I'm also contemplating reading a poem or two. My copy of the Norton Anthology of Poetry is calling me.

Update: 2.07 pm / Hour 16 

I am continuing with Iphigenia in Tauris and I took a little break to write a post on The Songs of Innocence by William Blake because with all of this reading I'm doing today I'll be writing posts for a fortnight! I also just read "On Shakespeare" by John Milton which a short but beautiful poem. I'll probably read a few more poems from my Norton Anthology before the day is over. Maybe some more William Blake as I am currently obsessed with his poetry.

Texts read so far: (updated) 
  • Songs of Experience by William Blake 
  • A Haunted House by Virginia Woolf 
  • The Heavenly Christmas Tree by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 
  • The Distaff and Three Epigrams by Eninna 
  • On Shakespeare by John Milton
  • William Blake: To the Muses, Song, To the Evening Star 
Update: 6.01 pm / Hour 20

Well....I fell asleep. I definitely need to plan the next readathon better because I didnt get enough sleep last night and I felt fatigued all day. I do feel better now and there's still a few hours left so I'll continue with Iphigenia in Tauris and hopefully get through some more of the Turgenev I'm reading and whatever is beyond that remains to be seen! 

Comments

  1. Hooray, I won't be doing this alone! I, too, need my 8 hrs, so I slept-in this morning and will be starting in about 30 minutes (10 am PST). Looking forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell asleep about 30 minutes into the readathon but I got 7 hours and am ready to continue!! Good luck :)

      Delete
  2. Love your gothic choices and random, spontaneous joining in of the readathon was my modis operandi for many years...until I actually started scheduling the date in my phone!
    Are you on twitter - we're using #anzreadathon to stay in touch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should definitely do that for next time... yes! It's https://twitter.com/achaemenidreads I've had it sitting there for ages meaning to use it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts