Classics Club Spin #20

Well, it certainly has been a minute since I last posted. It was October I believe. It's not that I haven't been reading, I have. Unlike past quiet periods I've been reading more. In late October I started working for an online bookstore and it's taken up most of my time. I haven't really had the energy or motivation to write. I'm also a university student so my time is limited. But things have calmed down a little in my personal life and I've gotten a handle on my busy schedule. This year I've mostly been reading Ivan Turgenev and Virginia Woolf who are my two favourite writers. It wasn't planned but it's been nice just sitting with their works and letting their words wash over my soul. It's been much needed. Now, however, I'm ready to take a dive back into my Classics Club list and this Spin couldn't come at a better time.

The Rules for the Classics Club Spin are: 

1. Go to your blog
2. Pick 20 books that you've got to read from your Classics Club list (mine is here)
3. Post that list, numbered 1 to 20, on your blog by next Monday
4. Monday morning we'll announce a number from 1 to 20. Go to the list of 20 books you posted and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce
5. The challenge is to read that book before May 31st.

My list is: 

1. The First Circle - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Volume One) - Leo Guanzhong
3. Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
4. The Tennant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
5. Tales from a Thousand and One Nights
6. The Oresteia - Aeschylus
7. Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf
8. The Last Day of a Condemned Man - Victor Hugo
9. Rudin - Ivan Turgenev
10. King Lear - William Shakespeare
11. Daphnis and Chloe - Longus
12. Notes from Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
13. Dead Souls - Nikolai Gogol
14. The Vita Merlini - Geoffrey of Monmouth
15. Mary and the Wrongs of Woman - Mary Wollstonecraft
16. The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
17. Epic of Gilgamesh - Anonymous
18. The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot
19. Metamorphoses - Ovid
20. The Marriage of Heaven and Hell - William Blake


I've thrown in a couple I'm looking forward to read, a few I've been meaning to read for a long time and a couple I'm dreading because of the density or size. Can't wait to see what I get!



Comments

  1. Glad to see you back, Keely! Of course your list is right down my alley! Metamorphoses is a personal favourite as is The Orestia, King Lear and Notes from the Underground. I have The Mill on the Floss and Dead Souls on my radar ..... hmmm, with the books I have in common with other bloggers I might change it up to get a reading buddy depending on the number drawn. In any case, I hope you have a great spin and whatever you get will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should probably come to terms with not blogging regularly and it being okay. Try as I might......I just don't have the time or motivation. When I'm reading I want to write when I'm writing I want to read...
      I'm looking forward to every title on my list so this was a hard one to put together but I'm hoping I get Eliot, Bronte, Wollstonecraft or Woolf. But knowing my luck I'll get The First Circle...

      Delete
    2. Oh, there's great stuff on here! I loved the First Circle, and Anne is my favorite Bronte sister because of Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Lots of other great stuff on here too! Good luck!

      Delete
    3. Agnes Grey is one of my very favourites I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to get to Tenant but although it wasn't picked this time I have to get to it soon.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I'm glad I have met your blog. I am following you now, not through subscription but via WordPress reader.

    Fascinated by your love of Virginia Woolf, one of my personal failures (I can't enjoy her fiction, though I love her short essays. Actually I have only read a couple, plus A Room...) I guess it's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Silvia! Welcome! I absolutely love her short stories, you should check them out if her novels aren't for you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts